Creating a safe and secure work environment is crucial for the growth and development of any organisation. Women’s safety, in particular, has been a pressing concern in recent times. Workplace harassment and gender discrimination are two of the most significant challenges faced by women in the workplace. In this blog, we will explore how implementing the I’m Safe app in organisations can help act as a POSH (Prevention of Sexual Harassment) enabler.
The need for POSH policies in organisations
A POSH policy is a written document used to educate the employees of a company on the POSH act. The purpose of this gender equality law is to provide employees with a safe and secure workplace, free of sexual harassment.
The POSH Act of 2013 was passed to ensure the safety of every woman in the office and create a productive environment. The Act promotes women’s safety in the workplace. Furthermore, it lays the foundation for providing equal opportunities for women to work safely at their organisations. The policy improves productivity and that results in the company’s financial growth.
The Policy applies to any organisation with more than ten employees of all age groups. Every business that meets this requirement must execute the terms of the POSH act and the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace act. The need for this Policy is to protect female employees from sexual harassment. Sexual harassment covers one or more of the following unpleasant behavior or behavior directed at women. These behaviors include
- Physical touch
- Demand for sexual favors
- Making sexually tinged statements
- Making sexually tinged remarks
Statistics on workplace harassment and gender discrimination women face
Gender bias or gender discrimination is the unequal treatment of persons or individuals based on their gender. Statistics on gender discrimination in the workplace indicate that such bias comes in many forms. In most cases, women are often discriminated against.
- Example of bias here varies from offensive jokes to sexual harassment. Such behavior is both frowned upon and represents a violation of basic human rights. Despite the many reporting and grievance redress mechanisms in place, instances of sexual harassment remain widespread in the workplace.
- The Pew Research Center indicates that 42% of American women face gender discrimination at work.
- 22% of women working in India state their companies show a favorable bias toward men at work.
- Approximately 85% of working women in India are said to have missed out on job growth because of their gender.
- Nearly 37% of working women in India get fewer opportunities than men.
- Almost 37% of working women in India say they get less pay than men
- More than 7 in 10 working women feel family responsibilities come in the way of career development
- Nearly two-thirds of working women in India are said to have faced discrimination at work thanks to household and familial responsibilities.
- In urban areas, the average earning for men is nearly RS. 16,000 while the average earning for women is RS. 6,630.
I’m Safe Organisation
The I’m Safe app is a digital solution meant to reduce and eventually stop the many societal problems women face every day. There are two versions of the app: one for college students and another for companies and organisations.
The app protects user confidentiality and provides the various features needed to ensure women’s safety wherever they are.
Women advisor- The organisation selects a high-ranking female in the company as Org Women Advisor. Additionally, she gives advice or input to her co-workers on how to create a safe and secure environment for women.
SOS- Triggers an SOS alert on the app. This alert is immediately sent to the admin app and the user’s Trusted Contacts. (A Trusted Contact is a group of people the user can contact at any time. They can be family, friends, or co-workers).
Night Shift Safety- The app tracks the user’s location in real-time.Users can mark their departure from the office and arrival at home by clicking “start” and “reached” respectively. Additionally, if the user stays at a location for an extended period of time, such as for over an hour (as determined by the organisation), the app will alert the organisation.
Anonymous reporting- In the event of sexual harassment within the organisation, employees or co-workers can use our anonymous complaint feature to report the incident. The user has the option to choose the recipient of the complaint and the matter will be handled confidentially. Furthermore, the user can also choose whether or not to disclose their identity.
I’m Safe offers an admin portal for organisations, which enables admins and staff to monitor and assign users to ensure their safety.
I’m Safe as a POSH enabler
The implementation of an internal complaints committee, gender equality law, grievance redress mechanism, etc. goes a long way to helping women in the workplace. I’m Safe takes things a step further and puts women in total control of their well-being. Features like location tracking and anonymous reporting help women take control of their safety.
The app works on Android and iOS devices, meaning anyone with a smartphone can download and start using it. The app builds upon the steps taken by companies to protect female workers and empowers women to feel safe at the office.
Also, it is easy to integrate into any organisation. A simple 1-hour meeting is enough to make everyone aware of what the app can do.
- Safe & secure conditions in the office
- Greater accountability
- Better safety and security
- Productive environment
- Reduced instances of sexual
- Harassment at the workplace
The implementation of the I’m Safe app can be a game-changer for organisations looking to create a safe and secure work environment for women. The app’s features and benefits make it an effective POSH tool that can be integrated with existing POSH policies. By taking a proactive approach toward women’s safety, organisations can not only ensure compliance with POSH laws but also create a work environment that fosters growth, development, and well-being.